Thursday, November 29, 2012

To the West..to the West




Beautiful day today in North Wales. Sub zero temperatures,blue skies and snow on the high mountains. I took a drive west to see John Redhead at his lair near Llanberis. The drive through Snowdonia was rather fine albeit interrupted by all the road works around the north Wales climbing capital. I always find it difficult to drive down The Pass without nearly crashing the car because I'm constantly craning my neck to take in the crags and today, see if anyone was mad enough to be climbing.

Despite the clear skies, it remained arctic-ally cold throughout the day. However, the Cromlech boulders were seeing some action from a gathering of young guns wrapped in their duvet jackets and Buffalo smocks. What is the collective term for boulderers?  'A chalkstorm' of boulderers perhaps.

JR was outside with photographer Tony Loxton when I arrived. Mooching about in the late afternoon sun before a trip down the road to The Caban where John had an installation piece ready to be...installed.  I took some shots for a book review of John's Colonists Out by Brian Trevelyan- Footless Crow tomorrow,- and after a slice of cake and a few shots of John with his work, I bid the artist adieu until the new year and meandered back to NE Wales. At the Pen y Gwryd turning, I stopped and watched the last sparks of the winters' sun peter out behind the mountain.

No comments:

Post a Comment