Sunday, August 20, 2017

Drone pilot enters the hall of the mountain king

It appears I am now a fully paid up member of the mountain environment desecration Society... (MEDS). Membership is quite expensive I’m afraid. Several hundred pounds, but hey...drones don’t come cheap! Yes...For a while now I have on occasion taken my modest Phantom drone into the great outdoors to shoot some aerial footage for use on videos, and perhaps use some of the stills for illustrative purposes. Thus far without causing any undue distress to the either the wildlife or hikers. You see, I’m pretty respectful of other mountain users and would never fly a drone on a mountain top or where other people have gathered. Especially since I saw what happens when a drone throws a prop and comes down to earth like an Exocet missile! Thank God, it came down in a neighbouring farmers field and not on the summit of somewhere like Tryfan!

However, today I was outed as an eco vandal by a countryside warden. You see, I was wandering up to a local mountain top to take some footage. As I approached I met a guy coming down whom I presumed, by the tripod and camera he was carrying-it was a telescope it turned out- was a photographer out for a bit of bird snapping. After a couple of minutes of chit chat, he asked what I was doing? The hard shell case on my back was a bit of a giveaway. I told him I was planning to take some drone footage over yonder. Then came ‘The Lecture'! I was informed that no drone flying was allowed anywhere hereabouts. Wildlife..blah blah..rare birds..blah blah..beautiful unspoiled environment blah blah...which was fine and I said I would respect that.However, he had to follow that up with a sneering comments along the lines of..’why anyone would want to spoil the peace and quiet of this special place with a drone...sneer, sneer ‘.

On my way back I was mulling over what had transpired and I got more and more miffed. The thing that irked me most was the fact that here was an environment which had been degraded by things like 4x4‘s, scrambler motor bikes and mountain bikes, but worst of all, it was an environment that to use George Monbiot’s words, had been ‘sheepwrecked’! The moorland was being grazed by sheep who were chomping their way through seedlings and young trees. Trampling the nests of ground nesting birds and doing what sheep do when they are left to their own devices. Create sterile, extremely limited ecosystems. Add to the fact that the area has been extensively degraded by the grouse and pheasant shooting industry who have left many areas hatched with stark breaks in the heather, and what you have is not a ‘special place’, but a degraded environment.

If the powers that be really wanted to create a healthy ecosystem hereabouts, they would start by removing the sheep and the shooters and let the land naturally re-wild. You can see in isolated pockets that trees will soon take hold. Fifty years from now, we would have an entirely different landscape where woodland flourishes which supports a far more diverse range of flora and fauna than it does at present.

Hindsight is a great thing but I’m sorry I am so slow-witted that I could not put these points to Mr Warden; the self-declared great protector of the moor and mountain. The idea that ten minutes of flying a drone on a despoiled, bare mountain top is somehow an ecological crime against nature when thousands of sheep grazing the area to the bone is accepted, highlights how far these agencies and quangos are from reality.


It seems that drones in the mountains are a bit of a thing at the moment. Even The Guardian had an article recently, berating drone users on the Isle of Skye.  Fair enough. No one wants to have their peace and quiet spoiled by thoughtless drone users. But 'thoughtless' is the operative word. Most drone owners who take their drones into the mountains do it to take aerial footage and not as my warden friend seemed to think, just fly them about like a model aeroplane. And most do it with an awareness of other mountain users. As I suggested above. I only take my drone far from the madding crowd and only fly for a short period. Just enough to get some video footage.

Every group who frequents the great outdoors has its share of idiots. From thoughtless mountain bikers who tear down mountain sides without a thought for walkers, to climbers who leave their crap littering the base of crags. As far as drone use in the great outdoors goes. A bit of perspective....please!

No comments:

Post a Comment